Summer Internships Available
We need help this summer caring for the plants volunteers planted along Putah Creek, and nurturing the next generation of native plants in our nursery. This is a fantastic opportunity for local residents to engage with local green jobs training, and help your local creek at the same time!
Internships are not paid, though we are able to provide a transcript note for local college students. Internships are open to those over 18 years of age.
Interns will primarily work at our native plant nusery in south Davis and at field sites in Winters and Davis.
Interns will work under the supervision of Sara Tremayne and Marta Rocha.
The summer schedule is as follows, beginning June 24:
- Tuesday: 8:30-11:30 AM, Davis, help in the native plant nursery (10 positions available)
- Wednesday: 8 AM - Noon: help water plants in the field (2 positions available)
- Thursday: 8 AM - Noon: help water plants in the field (2 positions available)
Intern tasks will include:
- Filling trays with potting soil (nursery)
- Seeding trays with native plant seed (nursery)
- Transplanting small seedlings into larger containers (nursery)
- Moving plants within the shadehouse (nursery)
- Weeding (nursery and field)
- Helping set up and take down irrigation pumps (in field)
- Inspecting and repairing irrigation lines and replacing emitters (in field)
- Replacing protective tubes and mulch around plants (in field)
Training will be provided. Successful interns will recieve a letter of recommendation for college or job applications. No transportation is provided, sorry, though carpooling may be possible.
Interns must be:
- At least 18 years old*
- Physically fit
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Able to walk and stand on uneven ground
- Willing to work in an outdoor setting without access to air conditioning during the months of July, August, and September
To apply, please send your answers to the following questions to email@example.com no later than May 20, 2013.
- Do you have any experience with the work described?
- Why are you interested in this opportunity?
- Which time slots are you interested in working?
*16 and 17 year old students may be considered in special circumstances