You are here
Putah Creek Cleanup 2018
You may know that California Coastal Cleanup Day is part of the world's largest single day volunteer event, but did you know it is also part of the largest data collection effort? Putah Creek Council has hosted cleanups on Putah Creek for 30 years - since 1988 - and started coordinating our annual cleanup event with California Coastal Cleanup Day in 2004. It's an amazing feeling to be part of something so huge, and the data volunteers collect on cleanup day is compiled and used by policymakers and educators to help address the problem of litter in our waterways. Join us on September 15 to help make Putah Creek beautiful, clean and safe, while helping make a lasting impact for California waterways!
PUTAH CREEK CLEANUP SITES
- Winters Putah Creek Nature Park: Suitable for supervised children. Four groups will collect trash along the north and south banks of Putah Creek in the nature park from the car bridge upstream and downstream to below I-505.
- Putah Creek Road: Adults only. A lot of the trash that ends up in Winters Putah Creek Nature Park blows in from Putah Creek Road. Two groups of volunteers will collect trash along Putah Creek Road from the car bridge to below I-505.
- Stevenson Bridge: Not suitable for children under the age of 14. A group of volunteers will carpool to this site and clean trash from the creek channel and banks, and from the adjacent roadways.
- Boat Crews**: We will be organizing a boat crew to clean debris from the creek channel. **If you have boating experience and equipment and would like to join an in-stream cleanup crew, please contact Amy Williams ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Participation in this group is limited.
HOW TO REGISTER
Register by clicking the "Register Now" button at the top right or bottom left of this page. So that we can order the correct amount of food and supplies, all volunteers must register in advance to volunteer for the Putah Creek Cleanup.
WHERE TO MEET
Rotary Park/Community Center in Winters (See map below). As a courtesy to other volunteers and Putah Creek Council staff, and to help the cleanup run smoothly, please arrive on time.
WHAT TO BRING/WEAR
- Wear long pants, closed-toe sturdy shoes, lightweight gloves, a hat and sunscreen
- Bring a full, refillable water bottle (additional water will be available)
- If you have one, bring a bucket or reusable bag for trash (additional bags and buckets will be available)
- If you are under 18, you must bring a waiver form, SIGNED by your parent/guardian, to participate in the cleanup. Click here to print the form: Liability waiver and photo release form.
9:00 AM Meet at Rotary Park Gazebo, sign waivers, pick up supplies
9:15 AM Leave for a cleanup site with your designated site captain
12:00 PM Return to Winters Rotary Park for a lunch of burritos and watermelon
Questions? Please contact Amy Williams, Putah Creek Council Stewardship Program Manager: email@example.com, (530) 795-3006.
Looking for a different cleanup site? Other local Cleanup Day sites include:
- Putah Creek Fishing Access: Coordinated by Putah Creek Trout. Click on link for more information.
- City of Davis North, West, and Central Ponds: Coordinated by the City of Davis. Click on the link for more information.
- Lake Berryessa: Marianne Butler, Marianne.Butler@Solanorcd.org, 567-674-5611
- Cache Creek Nature Preserve: Gina Martin, firstname.lastname@example.org, 530-661-1070
- Port of West Sacramento Barge Canal: Linda Paumer: email@example.com (530) 867-1485, River City Rowing Club
- Lake Washington, West Sacramento: Pat Sayer-Handley: firstname.lastname@example.org (916) 216-3236, Lake Washington Sailing Club
- Delta Cleanup Sites, Delta Protection Commission: 916-375-4886