You are here
Putah Creek Cleanup 2015
**To register to volunteer, click on the "Winters" or "Davis" links below!**
"Our waterways could use a pick-me-up" is the theme for this year's annual California Coast and Creek Cleanup Day. Every year, on the third Saturday in September, people join together at sites all over California to take part in the state's largest single-day volunteer event. This effort is part of the International Coastal Cleanup, organized by the Ocean Conservancy, which is the largest volunteer event on the planet! Putah Creek Council has been organizing cleanup events on Putah Creek for 27 years and participating in Coastal Cleanup Day since 2004.
In 2014, over 6,000 volunteers statewide removed over 1.1 million pounds of trash and recyclables from California's beaches, lakes, and waterways. Along Putah Creek alone, 79 volunteers removed 3400 pounds of trash and recyclables. Learn more about past cleanups on Putah Creek at this link.
This year, thanks to generous support from the Water Resources Association of Yolo County, Putah Creek will coordinate volunteer cleanup groups at several sites along Putah Creek from Lake Solano downstream to the City of Davis's South Fork Preserve at Mace Blvd. If you don't feel like picking up trash but still want to get involved, we do need help checking in volunteers, distributing t-shirts, and setting up and serving lunch and drinks.
Cleanup volunteers will gather in the morning at one of two main locations - Rotary Park in Winters or the UC Davis Picnic Grounds (Camp Putah) - and then fan out to cleanup sites from there. Lunch will be provided at the two main locations after the cleanup ends at 12:00 noon.
If you are under 18, you must bring a waiver form, SIGNED by your parent/guardian, to participate in the cleanup. Click here to print the form: Liability waiver and photo release form.
So we can order the correct amount of food and supplies, we ask that all volunteers please register for either the Winters cleanup sites or Davis cleanup sites. Please click links below to learn more about the sites and to register for the September 19th Cleanup event.
- Lake Solano Park
- Winters Putah Creek Nature Park
- Putah Creek Road (Railroad Avenue to I-505)
- Stevenson Bridge
- UC Davis Putah Creek Riparian Reserve
- Mace Boulevard - City of Davis South Fork Preserve
Questions? Please contact Amy Williams, Putah Creek Council Stewardship Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org, (530) 795-3006.
Other local Cleanup Day sites include:
- Putah Creek Fishing Access: Coordinated by Putah Creek Trout. Click on link for more information.
- City of Davis North and West Ponds: Coordinated by the City of Davis. Click on the link for more information.
- Lake Berryessa: Marianne Butler, Marianne.Butler@Solanorcd.org, 707-301-5778
- Cache Creek Nature Preserve: Gina Martin, email@example.com, 530-661-1070
- Port of West Sacramento Barge Canal: Linda Paumer: firstname.lastname@example.org, Sarah Hemly, email@example.com, (530) 867-1485, River City Rowing Club
- Lake Washington, West Sacramento: Pat Sayer Handley: firstname.lastname@example.org, Lake Washington Sailing Club
- West Sacramento Riverwalk Park, Delta Protection Commission: http://www.delta.ca.gov/cleanup.htm, 916-375-4886