Putah Creek Council's Education Team is one of our most impactful groups: they help us connect local youth to nature, forming a solic background in environmental literacy that will be crucial as this generation becomes our leaders.
With growing concern about "Nature Deficit Disorder," environmental education has never been so important. Education Team members multiple the effectiveness of Putah Creek Council staff by assisting with our education field trips. Working with staff, they lead students in activities that engage all learners in nature exploration, scientific inquiry, and forming a deeper relationship with Putah Creek. The Education Team members come from all backgrounds, but each member is enthusiastic about connecting kids to nature.
The Education Team is how we're able to reach 2,000+ students annually with only a few staff. Their impact will reach long past a single field trip!
Education Team volunteers commit to a year-long leadership position within Putah Creek Council. They attend an annual general training as well as program-specific training opportunities to be well-prepared for field trips, in-class assemblies, and other programs.
Are you interested in becoming an Education Team member? See details below. If you prefer to attend events as a community volunteer, we welcome you, too! Find upcoming events on our calendar.
Education Team members must:
- attend annual training day (details below)
- commit to assisting with at least three education events per year
- be at least 18 years of age
- be able to provide own transportation to and from events
- be willing to work outside in all types of weather and terrain
Our annual training includes:
- an overview of Putah Creek Council history, mission and current projects
- introduction into how Putah Creek Council runs field trip programs
- basics of scientific inquiry activities
- behavior management and student coaching strategies
- helpful techniques for interpreting the natural world to chaperones and creek visitors, and
- social gatherings and continuing education events to never stop learning.
If you are interested in joining Putah Creek Council’s Education Team, please call Nina L. at 530-795-3006 or email email@example.com.