Stewardship Team members multiply the effectiveness of Putah Creek Council and the work we can do on behalf of the wild (and human!) communities which depend on this place. Our team is diverse, and each person has a different reason for joining. As one Steward said, "After volunteering one time with PCC, I was certain I wanted to be a part of it!" See what other Stewardship Team members are saying about their experience.
It's not an exaggeration to say that we accomplish what we do because of this dedicated team of community stewards!
Stewardship Team volunteers commit to a year-long leadership position within Putah Creek Council. They act as mentors to other community volunteers. They provide guidance in proper planting techniques during field events, help interpret local ecology to the public, help with native plant propagation and care at our nursery, act as site captains during creek cleanup, and help with preparation and clean up before and after events.
Are you interested in becoming at Stewardship Team member? See details below. If you prefer to attend events as a community volunteer, we welcome you, too! Find upcoming events on our calendar.
Stewardship Team members must:
- attend annual training day (details below)
- commit to co-leading at least five community volunteer events per year
- be at least 18 years of age
- be able to provide own transportation to and from events
- be willing to work outside in all types of weather and terrain
Our annual training includes:
- an overview of Putah Creek Council history, mission and current projects
- learning from various local experts about creek restoration projects, Putah Creek history and ecology, native plants, pollinators, fish, and other wildlife,
- helpful techniques for interpreting the natural world to volunteers and creek visitors, and
- hands-on demonstrations and practice in proper planting techniques.
The 2017 will be held on Saturday, October 28. Those interested in joining should attend an orientation session in Winters on Wednesday, October 11, 5:30 - 6:45 pm or Davis on Monday, October 16, 5:30 - 6:45 pm.
If you are interested in joining Putah Creek Council’s Stewardship Team, please call Amy Williams at 530-795-3006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.